Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Keep on Sittin

I have sitting in front of me Phil Jackson's Sacred Hoops. I remember saying to myself when I first read the book that it would be nice to have a copy. Well, yesterday, while my son (2 1/2 yrs. old) and I were at the laundry mat doing laundry for a families' vacation home we clean for cash, I noticed across the street there was a thrift store. So, of course, I wondered if they had any books. It seems like whenever I have some free time I usually turn to books. Anyway, we walked over and checked it out. I found a couple shelves of books. And, as I was browsing the the shelves, I found Sacred Hoops. A few minutes later I took it up to the counter and paid fifty cents for it. It was suppose to be a buck, but there was no price tag on it. I donated the other fifty cents to the thrift shop.

We lost our game yesterday. We got ten run ruled. What this means is that if a team is losing by ten runs or more after four innings they call the game. I've also heard it referred to as the mercy rule.

Before our game, I opened up my copy of Sacred Hoops to any page and started reading. Here is what I came across:

"Little by little, with regular practice, you start to discriminate raw sensory events from your reactions to them. Eventually, you begin to experience a point of stillness within. As the stillness becomes more stable, you tend to identify less with fleeing thoughts and feelings, such as fear, anger or pain, and experience a state of inner harmony, regardless of changing circumstances. For me, meditation is a tool that allows me to stay calm and centered (well, most of the time) during the stressful highs and lows of basketball and life outside the arena. During games I often get agitated by bad calls, but years of meditation practice have taught me how to find that still point within so that I can argue passionately with the refs without being overwhelmed by anger."[Pg. 119, Sacred Hoops]

I think I understand the anger he's talking about. When things aren't going well in our games (Which is a good majority of the time) it's tough not to get down on players, umpires, and mostly myself.

I continue to sit zazen every morning.

No comments: