Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Baseball is Homeric

As the Little League baseball season continues I'm falling deeper into it. Even though I tell myself every year I'm not going to let it happen it does anyway. I don't know why I just don't accept it. Everything about the game sucks me in.

I don't know if I've mentioned this before but as a kid I used to think I could die on the baseball diamond and I wouldn't mind.

I'm going back through my notebooks and reading quotes I've written down from baseball books I've read. This quote by Chad Harbach in The Art of Fielding lays out nicely one of the reasons why I love the game so much.

"But baseball was different. Schwartz thought of it as Homeric--not a scrum but a series of isolated contests. Batter versus pitcher, fielder versus ball. You couldn't storm around, snorting and slapping people, the way Schwartz did while playing football. You stood and waited and tried to still you mind. When your moment came, you had to be ready, because if you fucked up, everyone would know whose fault it was. What other sport not only kept a stat as cruel as the error but posted it on the scoreboard for everyone to see?"--Pg.259, The Art of Fielding

No comments: