Friday, May 18, 2012

Feeling Fortunate

The other day Ran Prieur posted this excerpt from an interview that Oprah did with author Cormac McCarthy. It resonated with me and I've thought about since.

Oprah: Are you just not interested in material [things]?

Cormac McCarthy: I'm really not. I mean, it's not that I don't like things. Some things are really nice, but they certainly take a distant second place to being able to live your life and do what you want to do. And I always knew that I didn't want to work.

Oprah: How did you manage that? Most people want to know how to do that.

McCarthy: Well, you have to be dedicated. But it was my Number One priority.

Oprah: That you didn't want to have a nine-to-five job?

McCarthy: Yeah. I thought, 'You're just here once, life is brief, and to have to spend every day of it doing what somebody else wants you to do is not the way to live it.' And I don't have any advice for anybody on how to go about that, except that if you're really dedicated you can probably do it.

Oprah: So you worked at not working.

McCarthy: Absolutely. Yeah, it was the Number One priority.


There isn't a day that goes by where I don't feel fortunate that I don't have to go to a 9 to 5 job. One of my biggest fears is to be systematically coerced back into doing it again. And I work hard at not having to do it again. I also have never really been interested in material things. Eric Hoffer was right when he said it takes leisure to mature.

No comments: