Sunday, April 22, 2012

Last Night

The other day I posted this. Yesterday he wrote back, and part of what he said was, "Do you have Ishmael? I am curious to read it."

Now for anyone that has read Ishmael you know this is the moment you have been waiting for. It's your opportunity to change a mind and help save the world. All you have to do is get them the book and the rest will take care of itself. Why? Because the books are tools to change minds.

Well, I sat and stared at the computer screen for an hour last night trying to figure how I was going to respond to that question. Here is what I came up with: "Sure, I have a copy you can borrow. Let me know when you have time to read it, I'll bring a copy into town."

Earth shattering, isn't it?

Before I get my day started here I can think of three reasons why I stared at that screen for an hour last night:

One is that I'm revealing to him a big part of who I am. The degree of vulnerability has increased. There is a good chance (He was born, raised and is a practicing Catholic) that he is going to sit down with that book and get part way through it, close it up, and wonder how I can buy into it. The irony in this is: I often wonder the same thing about Christians. The second is I don't want to see him walk away from his faith. I'm not out to convert anyone. And the third is I don't want to get myself into a situation where he will try to convert me. My soul doesn't need saving.

No comments: