Friday, May 24, 2013

The Schooling Question

Our kids don't go to school. When asked about it I usually say we homeschool our kids. From now on I'm going to differentiate and tell them we unschool.

I have to admit unschooling is tough to deal with at times. The very idea of allowing our children to follow their nose in their pursuit of learning can be frightening. Being a parent who has spent close to 14 years in the public compulsory schooling system probably has something to do with it. Given that most adults around me keep telling me that kids need structure and schooling probably has something else to do with it. Of course, there's the fact that my grandma was a grade school teacher who grew up during The Great Depression and came of age during The New Deal may be a factor too...

2 comments:

Josh Fecteau said...

Thank you for choosing the unschooling path.

"The very idea of allowing our children to follow their nose in their pursuit of learning can be frightening."

In my experience, schooling can be just as, if not more, scary.

Curt said...

Josh,

Thank you for the comment.

I hear what you're saying. I know that school dampened my curiosity. To this day there is a sense of feeling cheated to some degree.

take care,

Curt