Monday, March 19, 2007

Preparing for Collapse

Thanks to Willem over at The College of Mythic Cartography for posting this slideshow titled: Closing the 'Collapse Gap': the USSR was better prepared for peak oil than the US, by Dmitry Orlov. Orlov lived through the Russian economic collapse.

I especially like Slide 24: "There are some things that I would like the government to take care of in preparation for collapse. I am particularly concerned about all the radioactive and toxic installations, stockpiles, and dumps. Future generations are unlikely to able to control them, especially if global warming puts them underwater. There is enough of this muck sitting around to kill off most of us. I am also worried about soldiers getting stranded overseas – abandoning one's soldiers is among the most shameful things a country can do. Overseas military bases should be dismantled, and the troops repatriated. I'd like to see the huge prison population whittled away in a controlled manner, ahead of time, instead of in a chaotic general amnesty. Lastly, I think that this farce with debts that will never be repaid, has gone on long enough. Wiping the slate clean will give society time to readjust. So, you see, I am not asking for any miracles. Although, if any of these things do get done, I would consider it a miracle.

It really would be a miracle!

1 comment:

Willem said...

looks like you need to fix your links again!