Thursday, March 01, 2012

Driving to Work

Years back I remember Derrick Jensen saying that we value production over life itself. In fact, he said, we sacrifice life at the altar of production. Yesterday was one of those days where this was made clear to me. I had to drive to work on unplowed roads that had over a foot of snow on them, and only a one lane track broken through from other vehicles that were capable of busting through that much snow.

Of course, I didn't make it. I got the bottom of the first big hill and decided to turn back for obvious reasons, one being what would happen if I met a snow plow coming over the top of that hill with only one lane to travel in. So, I got out of the car and shoveled myself out a spot to turn around. Hoping the whole time while I'm frantically shoveling that some crazy bastard doesn't come speeding over the hill and smash into my car or me.

Well, I got the spot shoveled out and the car turned around and made it home safely. But the point is I, or other drivers, could have been seriously injured or killed in that situation, and I was angry about it. But who do I get angry at? The United States Postal Service? Myself for bad decisions in the past? My boss? This insane culture (Afterall, this part of the state could have shut down until atleast the roads were plowed)? Past generations?

I don't know the answer to this, but I do know it felt like I was forced into a situation that I had no control over.

No comments: